[Winpcap-users] PCAP_OPENFLAG_NOCAPTURE_LOCAL seems to not work on Windows 8

食肉大灰兔V5 hsluoyz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 05:36:02 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

As Chris pointed, Npcap *DOES* support PCAP_OPENFLAG_NOCAPTURE_LOCAL option
in its latest version:
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF/npcap-nmap-0.05-r2.exe

This question exactly got asked a few days ago at nmap's mail list and I
have added this feature at that moment, see this:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q4/6

Please allow me to paste some explanations from the above post here:

Actually, this functionality can be easily implemented by Npcap, because
the three packet flowing paths: *receive, other-send, self-send* are
totally *separated* in Npcap, so it's convenient to only restrict the
self-send path using flag.

Remember: other softwares can still see all possible traffic, for instance,
your software disabled the local-sent packets
using PCAP_OPENFLAGS_NOCAPTURE_LOCAL, then your software no longer sees the
self-sent packets, but another software like Wireshark can still see them,
because they're not "self" sent.

Cheers,
Yang