[Winpcap-users] PDB file for npf.sys version 4.1.3

Michael Acosta mike.acosta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:10:30 UTC 2015

Hi Yang,

Thank you for the reply.

I suppose we could try to jump through hoops to disassemble and
otherwise hack around and try to figure out what is happening here,
but it would be a lot more helpful if the PDB were available from the
build that we and some of our customers actually have installed. It's
an open-source package, so I'm not understanding the reluctance of the
build maintainers to package or make available the actual debug
symbols - we're not going to find any secrets that the code doesn't
already tell us.

Since this is a rare bug, it's taken a long time to get a memory dump
from a system in-situ; most of the time it is not feasible to have a
customer take an extended outage to gather the information. Luckily,
we caught this one in-house. This is something I would hope Riverbed
would like to solve, as I've seen in the past similar issues reported
with Wireshark due to NPF.sys. The workaround seems to be to set the
driver to start on demand rather than on boot, but nobody seems to
have a handle on the cause.

By the way, I'm excited about your npcap project. I plan on testing
with this to see if it's a replacement for WinPCAP 4.1.3 that is more
stable in the ways we use it. In the future, do you plan on making the
full build available, including symbols, on release?

Thank you again,

-- Mike

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 4:14 AM, 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> A seemingly viable way would be that you decompile your driver (npf.sys)
> into C code using IDA pro, cross-searched the failing address in IDA and
> WinPcap souce code, you will probably find the wrong line of code.
>
> Cheers,
> Yang
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Michael Acosta <mike.acosta at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've been using WinPCAP optionally to send GARP frames on Windows
>> server (2008r2 and up), but it sometimes seems to hang in a call. It's
>> not easily reproducible, but I managed to get a kernel memory dump
>> today of the issue - the problem is that we do not have the symbols
>> for 4.1.3 to see what it's doing in WINDBG.
>>
>> Can someone provide the symbols to me so we can see what's hanging up
>> here? If we compile on our own, the PDB isn't going to match our
>> running environment, and since it's not easily reproducable we're kind
>> of light on collected kernel data, so just building our own is not an
>> option at this point. We need to see the symbols from the version
>> built and accessible on winpcap.org in order to make progress here.
>>
>> Please let me know if you need more information.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> --
>> Michael Acosta

Michael Acosta