[Winpcap-users] Windows 10 support for WinPcap

Pascal Quantin pascal.quantin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:15:45 UTC 2016

Hi Sven,

> Hi all,
>
> is there already effort for getting WinPcap ready for Windows 10? As
> Pascal Quantin already pointed out WinPcap does not run on Windows 10 due
> to the fact that the WinPcap driver is not an NDIS 6 driver. Please find
> more information here:
> http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2015-March/004936.html
>
> Searching the internet I found a port of the WinPcap driver to NDIS 6
> which has been done by Daiyuu Nobori . Unfortunately, the sources are
> licensed under GPL and not BSD-like the original WinPcap. Furthermore, I
> did not found any references about the quality of this port and about the
> roadmap? Will it be maintained in future or was it just a kind of proof of
> concept? Find more information here: http://www.win10pcap.org/
>
> I would prefer to use an official release from WinPcap... Does anyone know
> more about the WinPcap roadmap? What is the current state?

Since that time, Microsoft reverted their change and WinPcap 4.1.3 is
working fine on Windows 10. So you can use it.
As Guy indicated, Npcap is a pretty good fork of WinPcap source code (using
MIT license) with NDIS6.0 and other new features, with an active developer
and I use it daily.

Regards,
Pascal.