[Winpcap-users] Windows 10 support for WinPcap

Fri Feb 5 17:21:09 UTC 2016

You say:

> If the adapter disconnects (like Wi-Fi), libpcap API should only report time-out (you don't get any new packets).

Not all libpcap/WinPcap/npcap applications are sniffers which permanently hang on a pcap_t waiting for packet arrival.  Some periodically poll for packets and count on the timeout behavior which is currently available.  A linkstate change is a significant event which should be discernable using the pcap API if an error is returned (-1).

You also say:

> Npcap actually doesn't report errors any better than WinPcap. There's even a chance that Npcap behaves different on reporting errors with WinPcap. Because Npcap uses NDIS6 and WinPcap uses NDIS5.

Well, it may not, but WinPcap is frozen and npcap is actively being developed.  We’re discussing how to address the deficiency  in the current behavior in the  most appropriate way.  Given that NDIS6 is the modern API to access this stuff and it is closer to the real hardware it would seem that this information would be more available and certainly could be added.