[ntar-workers] Store "Daulight Saving Time" status in capture file ?

Bill Meier wmeier at newsguy.com
Mon Aug 29 22:13:23 GMT 2005

  A thought question:

  If I'm looking at a capture taken in a
  different timezone and (say) a different time of the year,
  might I want to have the absolute date and time displayed
  as if in the timezone/DST of when the capture was made ?

  My answer: maybe (at least as an option since relating the capture to
  the business context may best make sense with respect to the 'local' time);

  This is certainly not practical in the general case unless both
  TZ and DST information is stored with the capture file.

  If this is interesting, maybe the PCAP Next Generation dump file format
  should have a 'if_isdst' interface description block option'
  in addition to the 'if_timezone' option.

Bill Meier