[ntar-workers] Simple packet block

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 05:52:44 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Donnelly" <stephen at endace.com>
To: <ntar-workers at winpcap.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ntar-workers] Simple packet block

> Loris Degioanni wrote:
>> Robin Sommer wrote:
>>>
>>> I second that. In particular, I am not sure if the SPB will be
>>> helpful at all as it is not going to include any timestamps. The
>>> specification says:
>>>
>>> --------- cut -------------------------------------------------------
>>> The Simple Packet Block does not contain the timestamp because this
>>> is often one of the most costly operations on PCs. Additionally,
>>> there are applications that do not require it; e.g. an Intrusion
>>> Detection System is interested in packets, not in their timestamp.
>>> --------- cut -------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this is wrong wrt to intrusion detection: without
>>> timing information, an IDS is not able to perform any reasonable
>>> analysis. More generally, I believe that packet timestamps are one
>>> of the most valuable information contained in a packet trace.
>>> Essentially, almost all applications do need them.
>>
>> So almost all applications will use normal packet blocks.
>> However, as Stephen wrote a couple of days ago, there are some
>> applications for which compactness and performance (any additional field
>> can have a remarkable weight if you capture at millions pps) are of basic
>> importance. They will use the simple packet block.
>
> I think having a SPB may be useful in some environments. When capturing at
> high packet rates having unused option fields present is expensive in
> bandwidth and space. Having the SPB not support the addition of optional
> fields also simplifies parsing and should save time when reading the file.
>
> I'm not sure if it's reasonable for the SPB to not have a timestamp. I can
> imagine there may be cases where one is not necessary, but in many cases
> they are, even when size is at a premium. In these cases the SPB could not
> be used, so we are forced back to the normal PB.
>
> For DAG cards the timestamp is generated in hardware so that operation is
> is not expensive. Not writing the provided timestamp to disk would save
> disk bandwidth/space, but may lower the utility of the collected trace too
> much. I suspect most of our users would end up not using the SPB if it did
> not have a timestamp.
>
> Are we left with three PB types, 'normal', 'simple', and 'simple+ts'? Some
> of these surely would seldom be used, and the cost in parsing/application
> support may be too high (accessor functions?).

I agree 100%: it's acceptable to have 2 packet blocks, but 3 is too much.
For a very simple reason, in my opinion: it's confusing (= you end up having
3 packet blocks because basically noone was able to decide which ones were
better...)

Regarding the problem od supporting 2 or 3 packet blocks, I don't see a big
overhead in that.

GV