[ntar-workers] Anonymization Support

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 05:56:35 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris" <guy at alum.mit.edu>
To: <ntar-workers at winpcap.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ntar-workers] Anonymization Support

> On Jun 30, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Jose M. Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> Another interesting feature in the NTAR model would be some sort of
>> support
>> for anonymization. At minimum, I'd appreciate being able to know  whether
>> any sort of anonymization has been carried out in the trace. Maybe an
>> ASCII option in the IDB that explains what was done.
>
> Why the IDB?  Anonymization isn't necessarily per-interface.
>
> And why does anonymization need a special type of flag?  I think  multiple
> comment options are supported for blocks, so an anonymizer  could add one
> to the SDB saying "IP and MAC addresses anonymized by  TraceScrubber 1.5"
> or whatever, and that wouldn't overwrite, say, a  comment added by the
> user doing the capture saying "Trace of HTTPS  problem with IE 7.0" or
> whatever.

I agree. All these informations can be saved as comments in either the IDB
or the packet blocks. Maybe the only reason for having a flag (in the IDB?
or in the packet blocks?) is that a comment (i.e. a string) is basically
some opaque information that is only human readable (unless you use a
predefined string) while a flag is understandable by an application, as
well.