[ntar-workers] On Markers and Bookmarks

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:22:09 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris" <guy at alum.mit.edu>
To: <ntar-workers at winpcap.org>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ntar-workers] On Markers and Bookmarks

> Loris Degioanni wrote:
>
>> Moreover, fseek seems to be very slow (slower than reading everything) on
>> several platforms.
>
> What platforms are those?  I would not expect that to be true on any UN*X;
> is there some version of Windows, and some C runtime library for a Windows
> C compiler, for which it's true?  Or is this some other OS?

I'm seeing something strange on windows when I perform some "short" (less
than 100 bytes) seeks while jumping from a block to another. As Loris said,
such seeks are much slower than simply reading the data with an fread(). I'm
not sure it has anything to do with the particular CRT I'm using. I do not
have any results on linux or other OSes, I plan to have some tests on linux
during the weekend.