[ntar-workers] On Markers and Bookmarks

Christian Kreibich christian at whoop.org
Tue Jul 12 01:14:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:42 -0700, Loris Degioanni wrote:

> > Isn't that just the indexing we're discussing here (including Chema's
> > navigation blocks proposal)?
>
> No, I think what Gianluca is talking about is really going back and
> forth in the file: fseek and friends. Implementing them in a portable
> and 64-bit-friendly way (since the specification requires 64-bit
> support) is really complicated. Moreover, fseek seems to be very slow
> (slower than reading everything) on several platforms.

Ewww that sucks. :(

> > Imho, yes. If the trace gets big, time becomes the primary mechanism for
> > selections. Even if you're indexing semantically different items (say
> > markers identifying the beginning of malicious flows, etc) you'll likely
> > still use time to navigate among multiple instances. I'd love to hear
> > counterexamples though.
>
> I kind of like the idea of using time to navigate inside traces, it
> could have many cool applications. The other important indexing method
> in my opinion is the number of packets: you probably want to know how
> many packets you skip if you jump to the next GoPBlock.

Yeah, that'd be nice, also for finding the total number of packets in a
trace faster than by scanning all the packet blocks.

> I think for
> example about tools like Ethereal, which could reserve the right space
> in the list of packets with a quick scan, without even reading the packets.
> By the way, would it make sense to report the number of packets of a
> GoPBlock in the following GoPBlock marker? This would prevent us from
> having to go back in the file.

I like that. I think I have a preference for end-of-block blocks, just
like with the Section End Block for sections that I proposed earlier.
Just end the GoPBlock with a separate block that can contain stats etc.

> Christian, if you are still interested in working on this, we could come
> up with a more precise definition, and then write it down in the specs.
> At that point, we would be ready to start the implementation. What do
> you think?

Sure, my offer of around 1 day/week stands. I've started to look at the
ntar code.

Best,
Christian.