[ntar-workers] Re: [tcpdump-workers] [ANNOUNCE] NTAR - PCAP next generation dump file format implementation

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 01:31:17 GMT 2005

Hi Stephen.

NTAR is a separate library to read and write the so-called "pcap-ng" file
format. The idea is to have a new library supporting the file format, since
the problem of managing trace files spans multiple applications and
libraries (not only libpcap), that's the reason for a separate project.

NTAR does not read libpcap trace files (you can use libpcap for that), at
least now.
The idea (my idea, actually) is to modify libpcap to support the new file
format, maintaining backwards compatibility for the old file format (i.e.
libpcap will always read old files), and writing to the new file format
(either by default or through a specific flag/new API). And my goal is
libpcap using NTAR to deal with the new file format :-)

Hope this clarifies things...