[ntar-workers] Re: [tcpdump-workers] [ANNOUNCE] NTAR - PCAP next generation dump file format implementation

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 28 20:45:24 GMT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Stephen Donnelly wrote:

> What's next for libpcap development, is there the intent for a new
> version of libpcap to also process the new format?

Yes, and to add additional capabilities as well.

> Independently of NTAR?

At least as I see it, it'd come out at the same time, or after, NTAR,
and would use NTAR to handle the low-level details of reading pcap-NG
files.

> With or without backwards compatibility at the file reading or API
> levels?

With backwards compatibility at the file reading layer, so that it
can read old libpcap files.

With backwards compatibility at the API layer, *but* with some
additional new APIs to expose the full capabilities of the new format
and to add additional capabilities.  (Are there any API changes that
would allow capturing with libpcap on a DAG device to run at a speed
closer to that of capturing using the native DAG interface?)