[pcap-ng-format] reserving blocks

Jasper Bongertz jasper at packet-foo.com
Mon Feb 10 10:16:54 UTC 2014

On 10.02.2014 07:12, Loris Degioanni wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Jasper Bongertz <jasper at packet-foo.com
> <mailto:jasper at packet-foo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Loris,
>
>     can you check if the INTERFACE LIST BLOCK can be replaced with the
>     existing "Interface Description Block", or maybe extented by
>     adding options to it? You can find the one I am talking about at
>     section 3.2 at
>     http://www.winpcap.org/ntar/draft/PCAP-DumpFileFormat.html
>

> The purpose of the INTERFACE LIST BLOCK is storing the list of network
> interfaces (and their addresses) of the machine where the capture has
> been done. The information is somewhat similar to the one included in
> the interface description block, but the semantic is quite different.
> I could encode the INTERFACE LIST BLOCK information in a sequence of
> interface description blocks, but then we would need a way a way to
> specify which interface description block is the one used for capture.

Isn't that the way it is done at the moment? If I capture on multiple
interfaces in Wireshark I'll get a pcap-ng file with multiple Interface
Description Blocks, starting with an index of 0 and incremented by 1 for
each block (the index is not included in the IDB, but the rule is that
the first block has the index 0, the second is index 1 and so on). Each
packet then has an index value in the packet block header, indicating
the IDB of the interface it was captured on. So even if you want to
write interfaces into the trace that aren't used for capture you could
add e.g. ten interface blocks, even if only two are referenced by packets.

>     The same goes for the PROCESS LIST BLOCK - can you check if the
>     specifications of the block called "Process Event Block" in use by
>     the Hone Project fits your needs? See section 3.1 at
>     https://github.com/HoneProject/Linux-Sensor/blob/master/hone-pcapng.txt
>

> The two blocks are actually very different. The PROCESS LIST
> BLOCK contains a list of machine processes, similar the what ps would
> emit. I can definitely use a different name if you think it's
> confusing. Do you have suggestions?

Can your PROCESS LIST BLOCK be written as chain of hone's PROCESS EVENT
BLOCKs, or doesn't that make any sense? I'm not trying to make things
harder for you, I just want to keep the specifications as duplicate-free
as possible :-)