[pcap-ng-format] reserving blocks

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 22:26:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2014, at 9:07 AM, Loris Degioanni <loris.degioanni at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> So what *are* the different semantics?  Does the Interface List Block
> show *all* interfaces, *including* interfaces on which the capture was
> *not* done?
> >
> > Correct.
>
> So what happens if new interfaces appear on the system after the capture
> starts?  Could a new ILB get written that overrides the previous one (which
> could also be done if interfaces *disappear* after the capture starts)?  If
> not, that means the ILB indicates what interfaces exist at the time the
> capture started, but doesn't necessarily indicate what interfaces existed
> throughout the capture.

The plan is that when an interface goes up or down (or at regular time
intervals), a new ILB is includes in the capture, overriding the old one.
Which, again, makes it a bit complicated to use the IDB as suggested by
Jasper, because I also need a way to specify that an interface is not
present any more.

Loris