[pcap-ng-format] Issue #23: Need to determine how to assign new Block Types/Option Codes in future

Michael Tuexen tuexen at wireshark.org
Mon Aug 24 20:27:59 UTC 2015

> On 24 Aug 2015, at 20:27, Hadriel Kaplan <the.real.hadriel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Michael Tuexen <tuexen at wireshark.org> wrote:
>> I don't think that they don't like it. The concern was if the *WG* has
>> the people to provide substantial review. And while trying to find people,
>> I often ended up in people being interested, but not necessarily active
>> in the IETF. That is why the suggestion came up to improve the document
>> in whatever way we can do and submit it for publication as an individual
>> document.
>
> You mean an independent submission to the RFC Editor, or do you mean
> as an AD-sponsored IETF doc?
I was talking about an independent submission. No AD has offered sponsoring
it, but I also didn't ask for it. I can check if an independent submission
can use IANA registries. I guess so, but I can double check, if you want.

> I'm not sure it matters that much which way, except I'm not sure
> independent submissions to the RFC Editor can ask for IANA registries,
> since their contract is with the IETF. (or whatever they call their
> MOU through ICANN)
>

>> I really would like to progress the document and to get it stable.
>> But it needs a couple of people to work together to get it done
>> providing a reasonable quality. This is work happens within the
>> IETF, fine. If it happens on this mailing list with a github
>> repo, fine too.
>
> I've been trying to clean it up, through git pull requests to the repo.
So who controls the repo?

> -hadriel
>
> p.s. In hindsight we should have just put the thing on google docs and
> opened it up for multiple people to edit at the same time for a week
> or two, and then at the end of the week, saved it and pushed the
> changed doc into the repo. That way people wouldn't need to know/learn
> git, and could see changes in real time. We could still do that if you
> think it needs a lot more word-smithing.
I would prefer using git or svn or a similar tool.

Best regards
Michael