[pcap-ng-format] Issue #24: Need to specify the IDB if_tzone option format

Hadriel Kaplan the.real.hadriel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:59:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Hadriel Kaplan <the.real.hadriel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Currently the IDB if_tzone option is declared but not specified.
>>
>> Proposal: make it a signed int32 for number of seconds West of UTC.
>
> ...at the time that the IDB is inserted into the file, or when daylight savings time/summer time is not in effect?
>
> (For example, it's currently 16:57 UTC and 09:57 on the US West Coast at the time I'm typing this, for an offset of 7 hours, but if it were a few months later, it would be an offset of 8 hours.)

The number of seconds in local Standard Time, West of UTC, regardless
of current DST being in effect or not. (i.e., keep DST-handling in the
presentation layer, not in the file contents)

So for you it would be +8 hours (=28800 seconds) all the time.

Or another direction would be to get rid of this 'if_tzone' option altogether.

-hadriel