[pcap-ng-format] Does anyone actually generate the epb_hash field today?

Stephen Donnelly stephen.donnelly at avagotech.com
Thu Aug 27 22:13:15 UTC 2015

I don't use the current epb_hash option, but I can see some use cases.

The epb_hash could be a hash, signature, or digest over some part of the
packet 'payload'. This could be just the IP payload, the whole IP datagram,
or the entire Ethernet frame for example. The purpose would be to
accelerate the detection of 'duplicate' packets/payloads. These commonly
occur in some SPAN (or other Network Packet Broker) configurations, when
capturing from multiple VLANs, or when capturing at multiple points in a
network simultaneously.

Duplicates might be excluded from TCP analysis to avoid invalid
retransmission detection, or may be leveraged to measure network/equipment
latency.

Stephen