[pcap-ng-format] [OPSAWG] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Michael Tuexen tuexen at fh-muenster.de
Mon Sep 28 20:40:10 UTC 2020

Without OPSWG...

> On 28. Sep 2020, at 22:30, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>

> Michael Tuexen <tuexen at fh-muenster.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I have converted the xml to markdown.
>
>> Why? If we want to publish this, it will be published in xmlv3. So
>> better to use that format earlier...
>
> It's so so so much easier to maintain and update and get contributions.
> github will render it directly....
>
> If you object strongly, we can stick to XML.
I'm just trying to figure out what we will do with the document in the
near future.

I think we will not get it adopted in OPSWG.

If we want to publish it soon, I would be willing to double check it
and clean it up, make it such that xml3 is used appropriately and send
it off to the RFC editor.

If we want to keep it living at GitHub and not do the RFC publishing
soon, than Markdown might be the better choice.

>>> The results in the diff are okay, but actually the conversion is not
>>> complete as I cheated and left the tables as preformatted figures, and
>>> there are many internal references that I have no yet updated.
>>>
>>> The xml file had a long list of URLs as references, many of which were
>>> duplicated.  I will be going through and fixing those in the next week
>>> or so.
>>>
>>> This work has been discussed on and off in OPSAWG, but at this point I
>>> am going to suggest that the document just go through the Independant
>>> Submission Editor.
>
>> Do we want to finally publish that? Up to now, I think the point was to
>> find a home where it is substantially discussed and improved...
>
> If we can get OPSAWG to adopt it, great.
> I'm just not holding my breath.
I don't think this works out. But we can publish it anyway. We just
need to figure out what we want...

Best regards
Michael