[Winpcap-users] Updating BPF compiler

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Sun Dec 4 19:02:14 GMT 2005

Uhm, recompiling wpcap.dll with the updated version of the libpcap source
files is not so straightforward. Basically, there are two main problems:

1. the libpcap sources need to be manually patched to include the remote
support (remote support is not available in the vanilla libpcap sources
available on www.tcpdump.org). It's possible to avoid patching the files,
and use a specific wpcap.dll build configuration for this, the "Wpcap
debug"/"Wpcap release" ones.

2. You need to generate the parser/scanner source files out of the
flex/bison .l and .y files. In order to do that, you need to have cygwin
installed and perform an initial compilation of wpcap.dll with cygwin (or at
least flex/bison, I usually recompile the whole wpcap.dll under cygwin to
generate those files). In particular, you need to cd to winpcap/wpcap/PRJ
and type "make -f GNUMakefile".

I know, recompiling wpcap.dll is a pain in the neck...