[Winpcap-users] Conflict between WinPcap and other WinXP drivers?- hanging on boot

Eric Hansen nightskywriter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:10:38 GMT 2005

It's very unlikely (though still a possibility) that WinPCap is the
problem.  If your friend has any live CD's (like Knoppix [Linux]), or if you
can make him one, see if that'll boot past the point where the XP CD fails.
Other than that, he might have to reformat (don't quote me on this, because
what your friend told you, doesn't sound all that clear [to me atleast]).

This is to all the other members here...does any "Internet protection"
programs (Anti-Virus, Spywayre scanner, etc...) cause these problems with
WinPCap??

On 12/5/05, Happy Dolphin <happydolfijn at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello;
>
> I have installed WinPcap and WinDump and have experienced no problems.
> However, I had suggested that a friend try it, and now he is having 'booting
> problems'.   I did a search of mailing lists and googled, but have seen no
> other posts/problems that describe the problem that he is having.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have from him an exact description of the problem
> that he is now experiencing.  He only told me:
>
> "None of the safe mode boots work.
> The revert to last known good also does not work but is getting furthest
> since it shows a bit of windows start screen before switching to black ...
> XP-CD also does not get the machine past the hangup "
>
> So it appears that his machine boots to a stage then hangs.
>
> Is it at all possible that WinPcap is causing this?
>
> What specific question should I ask him to help troubleshoot the cause?
>
> I think that he does have one of the Symantec products, but I dont know
> which one, and I am not sure if he has fully uninstalled it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Pamela

http://tenshi.honeyblade.net (my poetry)

"You wanted this ending to happen...ROMANTISUTO!"