[Winpcap-users] Conflict between WinPcap and other WinXP drivers?- hanging on boot

Happy Dolphin happydolfijn at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 16:22:02 GMT 2005

Hello;

I have installed WinPcap and WinDump and have experienced no problems.  However, I had suggested that a friend try it, and now he is having 'booting problems'.   I did a search of mailing lists and googled, but have seen no other posts/problems that describe the problem that he is having.

Unfortunately, I don't have from him an exact description of the problem that he is now experiencing.  He only told me:

"None of the safe mode boots work.
The revert to last known good also does not work but is getting furthest since it shows a bit of windows start screen before switching to black ...
XP-CD also does not get the machine past the hangup "

So it appears that his machine boots to a stage then hangs.

Is it at all possible that WinPcap is causing this?

What specific question should I ask him to help troubleshoot the cause?

I think that he does have one of the Symantec products, but I dont know which one, and I am not sure if he has fully uninstalled it.

Thanks for any help.

Pamela