[Winpcap-users] GetAdaptersInfo, a little bit off-topic

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:38:31 GMT 2005

WinPcap uses two methods to get adapters information:

- regstry scanning: this was the original method, because the WinPcap
project started before the IP Helper API appeared.
The location of the registry keys is very different in the OS families,
and the 9x WinPcap registry scanning code is a lot less reliable that
the NTx one. However, you can find everything in the packet.dll sources.
- IP Helper API. I think we use this only in WinNTx, and only if the
registry method fails. This is maybe the reason why we never experienced
the problem you're talking about.

I'm not aware of any other methods to get this kind of info.
Hope this helps,

Loris