[Winpcap-users] Conflict between WinPcap and other WinXPdrivers?- hanging on boot

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Sun Dec 11 19:07:39 GMT 2005

Hi.

WinPcap should not cause any problem on boot: although it installs a kernel driver, the driver is not started at boot time (it's started automatically when you start the first WinPcap based application).

If you are able to access the hard drive of the faulty machine (e.g. by booting the machine with the installation CD and then using the recovery console), just delete "c:\windows\system32\drivers\npf.sys, and see if there's another file called "c:\windows\system32\drivers\packet.sys". If it's a problem with winpcap, deleting npf.sys should solve the problem (but I'm pretty sure it's not...).