[Winpcap-users] detecting winpcap in NSIS installer

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Sun Dec 11 19:21:30 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramiro Polla" <ramiro86 at hotmail.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 10:55 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] detecting winpcap in NSIS installer

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a NSIS installer for a program, and I'd like it to do the
> following:
> - detect if windows is x64
> - if it's not x64, check winpcap's version.
> - if version < 3.1, download from winpcap.org's site and install
>
> - if it's x64, ask the user if he wants to try a non thoroughly tested
> version of npf.sys for x64
> - if he does know the risks and wants to try, download that file from a
> server ( http://ml20rc.msnfanatic.com/wpcap64.html ), and winpcap's dlls
> to put in the same folder as the application.
>
> To detect if it's windows x64, I've written a plugin for nsis that works
> like msdn's example of Getting The System Version
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getting_the_system_version.asp .
> What method does WinpCap's installer use to find out this information?

We basically use a combination of registry keys.

> How do I determine winpcap's version to check if it's < 3.1?

It's quite complicated: we basically look at the version number of the DLL
(if a version number is available), and we have a map of the DLL version
number vs. the WinPcap version.

> Is there a place in winpcap's site where I can download the dlls, not in a
> installer or packed? If not, can I make them available on a server?

The WinPcap DLLs are not available unpacked on the the WinPcap web site. You
can make available on your website, there's no restriction on this. Why are
you interested in putting the WinPcap DLLs unpacked on a website?
Remember that installing WinPcap with custom made installers can cause long
term problems, mainly conflicts between the custom installers and the
official WinPcap (it's always a pain to track down and manage broken
installations like this)...
Moreover, if the main purpose is shipping the x86-64 driver, I can tell you
that a x86-64 enabled WinPcap version will be made available on the WinPcap
web site by the end of the next weekend!