[Winpcap-users] detecting winpcap in NSIS installer

Ramiro Polla ramiro86 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:55:33 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm writing a NSIS installer for a program, and I'd like it to do the
following:
- detect if windows is x64
- if it's not x64, check winpcap's version.
- if version < 3.1, download from winpcap.org's site and install

- if it's x64, ask the user if he wants to try a non thoroughly tested
version of npf.sys for x64
- if he does know the risks and wants to try, download that file from a
server ( http://ml20rc.msnfanatic.com/wpcap64.html ), and winpcap's dlls to
put in the same folder as the application.

To detect if it's windows x64, I've written a plugin for nsis that works
like msdn's example of Getting The System Version
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getting_the_system_version.asp
. What method does WinpCap's installer use to find out this information?

How do I determine winpcap's version to check if it's < 3.1?

Is there a place in winpcap's site where I can download the dlls, not in a
installer or packed? If not, can I make them available on a server?

thanks,
bye,
Ramiro Polla