[Winpcap-users] REPOST: Winpcap and VMware - known problem - ??

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 13:05:23 GMT 2005

Michael,
WinPcap interfaces with NDIS as a standard protocol driver, and is able
to see only the packets that NDIS spits up.
My suspicion is that the virtual NIC implemented by your version of
VMware implements manual loopback (this is an option for NIC drivers,
and most drivers just relay on NDIS for loopback), and then doesn't loop
the packets transmitted by TCP/IP to the other protocol drivers.

I wrote "your version of VMware" because I used vmware quite a lot in
the past and I never noticed the problem you mention. What's your
configuration? Are you running Ethereal inside the virtual machine or on
the host machine?

Loris