[Winpcap-users] Winpcap 3.1 install problems under Windows XP SP2

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Sat Dec 17 16:57:55 GMT 2005

Hi Alan.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Tu" <tsk at as2.info>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 2:50 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] Winpcap 3.1 install problems under Windows XP SP2

> Hello, I tried to install Winpcap 3.1 using the NSIS installer. After I
> clicked the Install button and it ran for a while, the installer stopped
> responding. (The program said "not responding" in the title bar and in
> task manager, so I had to kill it. My capture application (namely, a Snort
> experiment) does work so it seems at least some or all of Winpcap is
> installed. My concern is two fold: 1) the installation was partial and
> will make my networking stack unstable,

No.

> and 2) I can't remove Winpcap. When I try to run the installer again it
> says winpcap is already installed. Winpcap does not show up under
> add/remove programs in control panel.
>
> Is there a way to force uninstall, or manually uninstall, or verify
> successful installation? I've searched the archives and haven't seen a
> similar question. Thanks.

At the moment the current installer for WinPcap 3.1 does not allow you to
force the installation (the next version of the installer will have this
feature). At present, a workaround is to go to
\windows\system32\ and delete packet.dll (one of WinPcap DLLs that the user
tests for previous installations).