[Winpcap-users] Delay in receiving packets

Ravi Sankar s_rsy at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 10:02:40 GMT 2005

Hello All...

I am developing a recording tool which receives the
packets in RTP format.

My problem is even after the VoIP calls is completed
my application keeps receiving the RTP packet for 20 -
30 seconds.

Details of how i designed my application: I am using
pcap_loop for capturing the packet and in the handler
"packet_handler" i am handling the packets Once i
receive a packet i post a message to other thread
which copies the raw packet to local buffer and
process the data. (Since raw packet memory is handled
by WinPCap i am storing the data to local memory and
process it)

Kindly tell me is there any settings that has to be
done inorder to process the packet quickly?
Is it better to use single thread to capture and
single thread to process?

I am developing in Windows 2000 using VC++. In Windows
memory allocated in one thread can not be deallocated
in other thread. So I am forced to do the processing
in one thread.

Please let me know any better design and any settings
have to be made for processing the packets quickly.

Thanks in advance
Ravi