[Winpcap-users] trying to interface a generic 802.11abg with ethereal( windows) using prism header

hello hello.c at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 05:24:52 GMT 2005

Hi

I am facing a peculiar problem. ( system.. winpcap beta, ethereal 11,
windows XP)

My 802.11 wireless card adaptor interface is getting recognized by the
winpcap / ethereal. And when I ship a packet with false Ethernet
header, it even displays it in the ethereal GUI. (normal unmodified
release driver code)

Now I modififed my driver so that I was sending a 144 bytes prism
header ahead of the frame. My miniport driver debug prints show that
that the packets are getting shipped up constantly and the ndis
buffers are successfully comsumed and released. However winpcap /
ethereal is not indicating any packet.

The WinPcap version is the latest Beta( which works when I ship the
data packet up with false Ethernet header (I have tried reinstalling
it too).

1) If anyone has any clue why the NDIS/ winpcap is dropping the
packets, please help.
2) Is there a miniport handshake which got mixed up during this process.

3) is media state connect essential even in promiscous mode.
4) what all should i announce to ndis oid calls/ handshake so that
winpcap starts getting the packets.

currently the only modification I am doing is that the entire data
content has been changed to prism frame.. and the rest of the
interface is left unchanged, and all the packets have started
dropping.

Regards,
Ankur