[Winpcap-users] Out-going TCP/IP checksums

David Chang dchang at fsautomation.com
Fri Jun 3 16:08:50 GMT 2005

Quinton,

Any TCP checksum that doesn't make it to the wire is suspect because many
NICs compute the checksum in hardware (after the O.S., but before it gets to
the wire).  Thus, smart drivers don't bother to compute it.  If the packet
made it to the wire with a checksum error, TCP would reject the packet.

DC