[Winpcap-users] Duplicate Outgoing Packets

Quinton Tormanen quintont at deltacompsys.com
Fri Jun 3 18:19:40 GMT 2005

This is related to my last question, which was answered VERY well, thank
you all!

I am consistently seeing duplicate packets several microseconds apart.
These are always packets being sent by my PC (the one running winPcap).
So, I have traffic between the PC and our own device in development.  It
is a client/server protocol.  The PC sends a request, and our device
sends a response.  However, what I'm seeing is that the PC sends two
packets, which is 100% identical (including the IP identification field,
and TCP sequence numbers).  I highly doubt that both are really making
it onto the wire, in the same way that the bogus TCP checksums
apparently never made it on the wire.

Has anyone seen this?  Does anyone have a theory for why it happens?

I'm using Windows 2000 with a 3Com on-board NIC.

Quinton Tormanen
Software Engineer
Delta Computer Systems, Inc.
http://www.deltacompsys.com