[Winpcap-users] WinPcap 3.1 beta 4 memory leak? crashes?

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 21 21:51:28 GMT 2005

Tom Brown wrote:

> I am calling pcap_freealldevs() for every call to pcap_findalldevs().

Perhaps there's a leak in the WinPcap implementation of
pcap_findalldevs().  I didn't see any immediately obvious one.

> The application is designed to run on laptops where the etherenet card is
> removed/replaced a couple of times on a daily basis.

Polling might be overkill for that.  At least in NT 5.x (W2K, WXP,
etc.), you might be able to use RegisterDeviceNotification():

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/base/registerdevicenotification.asp

to get events delivered to a window when new devices are added or removed.