[Winpcap-users] How Why is WinPcap in my machine? Is someone sniffing me? Or?

Jay twelves at softhome.net
Sun May 22 17:52:56 GMT 2005

If someone could please take the time to help me out.

I found WinPcap in my startup services.

O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)

I did not install any of the packet sniffers nor did I find any,

I ran all scanners.

My question,

If it was on my box, is someone sniffing me?

Are commercial apps using this?

I cant be sure, but the rpcapd.ini (file missing) tells me its not fully installed?

It was in my add remove program list, and I don't know where how it came from.

It is uninstalled now.

Thanks for your help,  I did look all over on google.

I know this is a network tool,  but can this also be used as a Trojan?

thanks, and sorry for the intrusion.  I just cant get any info on
this.