[Winpcap-users] Any change to Licensing with move to Open Source for WinPCap?

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 25 21:12:07 GMT 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Loris Degioanni wrote:

> Not at all. The licence will still be a 3-clauses BSD one.

Actually the parts of WinPcap that came from libpcap are under a
license that includes the "advertising clause" (and puts the "don't
use the name of the University or of the contributors to endorse or
promote derivative products" part into an unnumbered clause).

The copyright notice says the copyright is held by "The Regents of
the University of California", and UCB did rescind the "advertising
clause":

     ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change

but the clause mentioned there says

       * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of
this software
       *    must display the following acknowledgement:
       *    This product includes software developed by the
University of
       *    California, Berkeley and its contributors.

but the libpcap code says

     ... (3) all advertising materials mentioning
      * features or use of this software display the following
acknowledgement:
      * ``This product includes software developed by the University
of California,
      * Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory and its contributors.''

so I don't know whether that license change applies to code developed
at LBL or not (LBL is run by the University of California, but it's
distinct from UC Berkeley, as far as I know).

I'll ask Michael Richardson about the advertising clause.