[Winpcap-users] Advice Request

Syed Azhar Hussain qadria at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:57:09 GMT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I am new to winpcap/libpcap (portable packet capture) and libnet
(portable packet injection). I am planning to write commercial
application which work like Websense
(http://ww2.websense.com/global/en/) or R-3000
(http://www.8e6technologies.com/products/ http Filter). I need your
suggestion about reliability of winpcap library for sniffing network
packets, and can we relay on it for commercial application, and also
its open source license allow us?

For testing my technical blueprints, I use jpcap (java wrapper over
winpcap) and jlibnet (my own JNI wrapper over libnet). I wrote simple
filter for 'http' packet which I want to block using packet injection.
When I run this program (platform is java), I am failed to verify my
blueprints. Using ethereal inspection, what I found is jpcap/winpcap
sniff little bit late so original server sent the reply, and my RST
packets wont work because of late spoofing.

I am also trying to write same blueprint in C instead of Java.

So, I need your advices for using winpcap/libpcap library for
commercial use in above context [all I need is sniffing TCP packet
with XYZ keywords in its payload e.g. GET www.badwebstie.com at native
platform (either windows, linux or unix)]?

Advice needed.

Thanks and best regards,

Azhar