[Winpcap-users] Dynamic filtering

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Fri May 27 17:48:18 GMT 2005

libpcap works well with static filters, but is not a great solution for
your kind of problems.

In my opinion, the easy solution is to implement your custom filtering
over winpcap, i.e. bringing all the packets to user level. The packet
capture process becomes potentially a bottleneck, but you partially
balance it implmenting the filtering in an efficient way, e.g. with some
hashing function.

The best (and hard) solution is to implement this hashing function in
the driver, and then create an IOCTL-based mechanism to control it.

Loris