[Winpcap-users] Use of WinPcap library to make NAT program

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 02:00:28 GMT 2005

WinPcap can be used to write software like bridges or routers, but only
user level ones: you capture the frames from an interface, you perform
your processing and you send them to the other interface(s).
Next version of WinPcap will provide better support for this, since it
will be possible to configure it not to receive the packets that it just
sent.
Note that some link layers (e.g. PPP and VPN connections) work only in
receive mode, so you'll not be able to transmit on them.

If you want to write a "real" nat (able to process the packets before
they get delivered to TCP/IP stack), you will have to use one of the
options that the Windows operating system provides:

- NDIS intermediate drivers (you can find information and sample code in
the microsoft DDK)
- Filter-Hook Drivers
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/network/hh/network/fltrref_16b29dd7-dd36-4f22-a828-24a6820dfeb3.xml.asp)
- Other mechanisms? (for example,