[Winpcap-users] Rarp Packets !?

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Oct 13 11:00:00 GMT 2005

winpcap wrote:
> Now, the problem is that i never get a reply.

Are you running a RARP server anywhere?

I tried to do something similar at work a while back, and after reading
the RARP standard and whatnot, I seem to remember it working similar to
DHCP -- I think you need a RARP server before it'll work.

None of the machines at work (NT, 2K, XP, one Linux box) answered RARP
packets on their own either.

(What I ended up doing was constructing an ICMP echo-request with a
source-IP of my machine, a target-IP of broadcast, and a target-MAC of
the MAC address in question.  Then I watched for an ARP request coming
from that MAC address, to find out what its IP was.  This is not 100%
effective, but it was the best we could do at the time.)