[Winpcap-users] Rarp Packets !?

Steighton_Haley at McAfee.com Steighton_Haley at McAfee.com
Mon Oct 17 21:18:38 GMT 2005

Reverse ARP is a predecessor to BOOTP, on which DHCP is based.
Generally, the spec. requires an *authoritative* response (hence the
questions about a RARP server).  It may very well be that there are
TCP/IP implementations out there which will respond to RARP packets in
the way you describe, but I have yet to find any.

Besides, RARP (because of it's associations with BOOTP), is totally the
wrong thing to use... what you *really* want is INVARP which was
invented for use by ATM switches so that their IP addresses could be
queried directly based on MAC address.  But, again, nobody outside of
the ATM community implements INVARP in their TCP/IP stack.

Effectively, what this means is that there is *no way* within the scope
of the standard protocols to force a system whose MAC address you know
to tell you it's associated IP address.

There may be a way to do it outside of the standards (maybe by crafting
an ICMP packet with a bogus IP and sending it directly to the system..
.and then reading the real IP out of the reply..), but that would have
unpredictable results...

Anyway, sorry to continue the bad news :-(

SLH.