[Winpcap-users] packet redirection

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:48:50 GMT 2005

Ben

Ben Greear wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
>

>> On Sep 13, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
>>
>>> It does not, however, let you *intercept* packets received by that
>>> machine.  A WinPcap-based application cannot see those packets
>>> before the rest of the networking stack sees the packets, and  cannot
>>> prevent the rest of the network stack from seeing the packet  as
>>> received, and cannot inject its own modified version of the packet.
>>

>> This is, by the way, mentioned in the WinPcap FAQ:
>>
>>     http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-17
>>
>> "Q-17: Can I use WinPcap to drop the incoming packets? Is it possible
>> to use WinPcap to build a firewall?
>> A: No. WinPcap is implemented as a protocol, therefore it is able to
>> capture the packets, but it can't be used to drop them before they
>> reach the applications. The filtering capabilities of WinPcap work
>> only on the sniffed packets. In order to intercept the packets before
>> the TCP/IP stack, you must create an intermediate driver."
>

> With a slightly modified driver, you can become a transparent bridge,
> and then if you really wanted to, you could sit inline and modify packets
> before transmitting them on their way...
>
> The standard winpcap does not support sending packets (correctly), however.

WinPcap *does* support sending packets correcly, both in a buffered and
unbuffered way. This is more than what most alternative solutions do.

If you refer to the fact that WinPcap doesn't support filtering packets
transmitted by itself, I'm currently implementing that feature, it will
be included in the next version.

Loris