[Winpcap-users] capture session could not be initiated

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:20:54 GMT 2005

Uhm, are you sure you are using WinPcap 3.1, and not one the 3.1
alphas/betas?

This (misleading) error reported by Windump has been fixed in WinPcap 3.1.

Can you please tell me the output of Windump -V?

The corrent output with windump 3.9.3 and winpcap 3.1 (on Windows XP) should
be like this

windump version 3.9.3, based on tcpdump version 3.9.3
WinPcap version 3.1 (packet.dll version 3, 1, 0, 27), based on libpcap
version 0
.9[.x]
Usage: windump [-aAdDeflLnNOpqRStuUvxX] [ -B size ] [-c count] [ -C
file_size ]
                [ -E algo:secret ] [ -F file ] [ -i interface ] [ -M
secret ]
                [ -r file ] [ -s snaplen ] [ -T type ] [ -w file ]
                [ -W filecount ] [ -y datalinktype ] [ -Z user ]
                [ expression ]