[Winpcap-users] Problems with promiscuous mode

Buendia, Victor victor.buendia at berbee.com
Fri Sep 23 01:23:45 GMT 2005

I am using Ethereal and is not working properly. I am only seeing my own
traffic.

I am trying to sniff a Cisco Switch port and I'm SPANing the destination
port properly.

I have tested the SPAN switch configuration with one of my peers and he
can see the traffic with Ethereal just fine (he has the same hardware I
do).

I tried different versions of Ethereal and WinPcap but the problem still
persists.

I wonder if there's any way to see if WinPcap is ordering my Ethernet
port to be on a promiscuous mode properly.

Based on the FAQ page, I have obtained the following information:

***Is NFP running?

When running msinfo32, I see that NPF has been started and the state is
running.

***What adapters is windump seeing?

When running windump -d, I don't see my Ethernet nor my wireless drives,
I only see something that looks like a Dial Up adapter, here is the
command's output:

D:\Program Files\windump-3.8.3beta-win32-ipv6>windump -d

windump: listening on \Device\NPF_GenericDialupAdapter

(000) ret      #96

D:\Program Files\windump-3.8.3beta-win32-ipv6>

I don't know what else to check, I was thinking about looking at the
PGPnet state, I would hope this is running but how should I check it?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

-Victor.