[Winpcap-users] Problems with promiscuous mode

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 06:34:17 GMT 2005

Hi Victor.

The right syntax to list the adapters with Windump is "windump -D" (D capital letter).
Moreover, there is no way to see if the adapter is actually in promiscuous mode or not. More precisely, WinPcap forwards the request to the underlying miniport driver of the network card (and reports the error code given by the underlying driver). So if the call fails, the network card driver should return an error (and therefore WinPcap). I know that there are some tools (based on winpcap) that are able to detect in another host has a network card in promiscuous mode, you can maybe try one of them.

One of them is promiscan, a free version is available here

http://www.securityfriday.com/products/promiscan.html

Which network board are you using (brand, model)?

A stupid question: you say that one of your peers is able to capture all the SPANned traffic. Did you connect your machine on the same SPANned port of the switch (if I remember well, you can only configure one port of the switch as a SPAN port, correct me if I'm wrong).