[Winpcap-users] Start and Terminate WinPcap manually

Gubrush . vga_planets at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 20 08:26:43 GMT 2006

Hi

I found this article to be useful:

http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2005-August/000270.html

it rougly describes how to install the npf.sys file, create the service
handle.

you can start it manually by a call to StartService.
I also discovered you can stop it by a call to ControlService  with command
argument SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP.

ControlService can be used to determine when the service has been stopped.

To remove the service handle you can call DeleteService.

On the other hand, I've heard that the winpcap team is planning to release a
WinPCAP OEM version that doesnt need to install anything. But the solution
above works for me until that time. :)