[Winpcap-users] WinPcap and NDIS connect/disconnect/media specific indications

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Feb 27 06:08:52 GMT 2006

I've been using WinPcap with a wireless IEEE 802.1X/WPA supplicant
(wpa_supplicant) for a while and it provides a good mechanisms both for
receiving and sending of EAPOL packets and for doing set/query OID
commands. However, there is one more type of driver interaction that is
needed for this type of applications, i.e., receiving of NDIS events
(NdisMIndicateStatus() calls from the NDIS miniport driver).

The current Windows port of wpa_supplicant is using WMI to receive media
connect, media disconnect, and media specific indication events from the
driver. However, this is not ideal for number of reasons (e.g., support
on older Windows versions and complexity added by the WMI code) and I
would prefer to be able to do this without having to resort to using
WMI. ndisuio/ndisprot is likely to have some mechanism for this, but
neither of those options sound any better than WMI. I've looked at
whether this could be done with WinPcap, but I haven't found a way of
doing this with the current version.

Is there a mechanism for receiving NDIS miniport events into user space
applications with WinPcap? If not, would someone be interested in
adding such functionality? I would like to be able to register an
application to receive NDIS events (e.g., a bit map of registered status
types) through Packet.dll and receive some kind of handle that could be
used to wait for the events with WaitForMultipleObjects().