[Winpcap-users] 100% CPU time when capturing packets.....

Ravi Sankar s_rsy at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 08:09:33 GMT 2006

Hello all,

  I am using WinPCap Library Version 3.1 and developing an Windows based VC++ application using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

  I am capturing UDP packets only. When I am executing the application it takes 100% CPU time when capturing and when capturing is stopped it reduces. Due to this when capturing is in progress it acffects other modules running in same PC and PC becomes very slow. Is there any solution to reduce the CPU time.

  I use
  pcap_loop(l_pThreadParam->adaptor, 0, packet_handler,
  (u_char*)l_pThreadParam);

  and packet_handler function to process the received packets.

  If you need any more info let me know.

  Please suggest any solution for this problem. Let me know if we use this library it will take more CPU time as it is capturing packets from adaptor?

  Thanks for your time
  Ravi