[Winpcap-users] Fw: Hi, I'm trying windump,

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Mar 7 17:36:39 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 03:51:06PM +0100, Isara Anantavrasilp wrote:
> Make sure you have winpcap driver installed and you are capturing in
> correct device.
>
> Use "windump.exe -D" to list your network devices in your machine.
> Then type "windump -i XX" where XX is the device number from the list
> to capture the packets from that device.

Also, note that WinDump acts just like tcpdump -- i.e., the default is
to turn on promiscuous mode.  Most (all?) Windows wireless drivers do
not support promiscuous mode; many return no packets at all when this
mode is turned on.  See the WinPcap/Ethereal FAQs:

http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q8.9

http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/WLAN#head-02456742c655394c9e948a4c9a59d3441c92782f