[Winpcap-users] WinPcap reboots Windows XP

Praveen Balasubramanian Praveen_Balasubraman at symantec.com
Tue Mar 28 15:51:11 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I am running the Nmap port scanner on Windows XP SP2.

Since WinPcap is a prerequisite, I installed WinPcap 3.1 beta 3 and
found that, for scans of large IP ranges, (for example a class C network
like 172.23.*.*), the machine reboots. When I try Nmap for same input
with WinPcap 3.1 installed, there is no reboot.

Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Since I am planning to use WinPcap in production code, can anybody
suggest which version I should use?

Also, any idea when will WinPcap 3.2 Beta be released?

Awaiting your replies,

Regards,

Praveen