[Winpcap-users] WinPcap reboots Windows XP

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Mar 28 16:32:03 GMT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Praveen Balasubramanian
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:51 AM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] WinPcap reboots Windows XP

  Hi All,

  I am running the Nmap port scanner on Windows XP SP2.

  Since WinPcap is a prerequisite, I installed WinPcap 3.1 beta 3 and found that, for scans of large IP ranges, (for example a class C network like 172.23.*.*), the machine reboots. When I try Nmap for same input with WinPcap 3.1 installed, there is no reboot.

  Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Uhm, since WinPcap 3.1 fixes the issue, why are you still using WinPcap 3.1beta3? As far as I know, Nmap does *not* require WinPcap 3.1beta3.

  Since I am planning to use WinPcap in production code, can anybody suggest which version I should use?

In general I suggest to use WinPcap 3.1 in a production environment, and start using WinPcap 3.2alpha1 for the internal testing, especially if you plan to support a 64bit environment (which doesn't mean that your app should be 64 bit).

  Also, any idea when will WinPcap 3.2 Beta be released?

No definitive dates have been decided for a new stable release of WinPcap (being it 3.2 or 4.0), but we are planning to release a new alpha or beta, fixing quite a few bugs, in 2-3 weeks.

Have a nice day

Gianluca Varenni

WinPcap Team

  Awaiting your replies,