[Winpcap-users] Network crash when sending a certain amount

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Sun May 28 16:41:25 GMT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RJ
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 12:37 AM
  Subject: FW: [Winpcap-users] Network crash when sending a certain amount

  Hi,

  i think i got it solved. My sygate personal firewall doesn't seem to like packet injection via pcap. After I deactivated it, all worked fine.

  Too stupid I didn't notice earlier.

  Now another question: how do I get the firewall to work with my programs? It could be very dangerous to use them in unknown networks without firewall.

Good question. The main problem is that many personal firewall packages use some non standard way to filter network traffic (usually assuming the only the usual protocols like TCP/IP are installed on the system), thus causing an unpredictable behavior when WinPcap is installed. At the moment I cannot suggest any personal firewall that works with WinPcap (not because they all problems, we simply don't use personal firewalls, so we cannot give good suggestions...).

  Greetings,

  Roger John