[Winpcap-users] pcap_findalldevs_ex hangs

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed May 31 00:03:36 GMT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Duane Storey
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:28 PM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] pcap_findalldevs_ex hangs

  Hey everyone,

  I have an application that I"m trying to add winpcap to.  I'm trying to use this function: pcap_findalldevs_ex from the main thread of my application, but it hangs indefinitely no matter what I do.

  Does anyone have any suggestions on why this might be happening?  Is it because this is a winsock2 application, instead of a normal winsock application?

No.

  Do I have to initialize winsock before calling it or something?

No. Do you have any test app that you can send me and try to replicate the problem? If it's not possible, can you please try to use the debug version of packet.dll (available at http://www.winpcap.org/bugs.htm) and send me the generated winpcap_debug.txt file after your app hangs? If possible, I'd prefer you to use WinPcap 4.0a1 instead of winPcap 3.1, the debug version of packet.dll for WinPcap 4.0a generates much more debugging stuff...

Thanks,
Duane